Monday, December 21, 2009

The Echo of Jancember

January and December
I said the same thing
in one year
the sound echoed across
365 days
and the same thing I said in January
I finally heard in December
As I was saying it again in December

2 echoes joined the other 2 million echoes
of words
and thoughts
and feelings
who all said the same thing

over and over
the same thing
again and again
they we echoed.
The same thing January
as we said in December

And the echo never stopped
and I never hear it
even when I speak it.

But somewhere inside I listen
and my stomach hurts
and my head aches
and the nightmares continue...

The deafening sound
of the echo of Jancember.



1 comment:

  1. This is powerful! My stomach knotted up when I read it.

    I say it's not a coincidence that you wrote this on the Winter Solstice, right on the longest night of the year. The light keeps getting longer and stronger from here.

    ReplyDelete